Anyone can see your traffic and IP address when you’re torrenting without a VPN (Source: Sapphire). You are vulnerable to identity thieves and hackers because they can easily find your location and identify you. They can infect your device with viruses and other malware, steal your data, and interrupt your downloads. Your ISP can also block you.
If you accidentally download copyrighted files, you could face legal repercussions and pay fines. A VPN conceals your IP address and P2P activity from prying eyes. You don’t need to worry because using a VPN for torrenting is legal and safe.
What’s the Best VPN for Torrenting?
Most VPNs affect your download speeds and risk your privacy due to limited bandwidth and poor technology. If you are looking for the best VPN for torrenting, here are your best options.
NordVPN is unbeatable when it comes to torrenting reliability and speeds. It’s located in Panama, a country known for being privacy-friendly. With NordVPN’s zero-logging policy, you can rest assured that your ISP won’t know your torrenting traffic. It has more than 4,700 dedicated P2P servers in over 40 countries. These servers are designed to block hackers and ISP spying as well as provide the best possible speeds while torrenting.
NordVPN is user-friendly and easy to install. The best thing about this VPN is that it keeps you completely anonymous while torrenting. It has 256-bit AES encryption, which hides your location and data. NordVPN’s SOCKS5 proxy increases download speed. The proxy is not encrypted, so don’t forget to use it with the VPN to protect your privacy.
NordVPN allows you to get 6 connections at once. You can also reach out to them through their 24/7 live chat support. NordVPN offers IP and DNS leak protection to prevent unintentional leaks that might reveal your IP address or downloads. The automatic kill switch pauses downloads if something interrupts your connection.
- Unlimited data and bandwidth
- High-end encryption prevents tracking
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- SOCKS5 proxy improves security and speeds
- 4,700+ P2P-optimized servers
- No-logs policy guarantees better privacy
- Compatible with iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Firefox, macOS, routers, and Chrome
- Works with Tixati, BitTorrent, qBittorrent, uTorrent, Deluge, Vuze and Transmission
- Doesn’t support PayPal
NordVPN’s 2-year plan also comes with a 70% discount. Although it doesn’t support PayPal, NordVPN has its own payment platform. It also supports digital currencies such as Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN is known for its consistently fast speeds, making it the best VPN for P2P sharing. It has over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, all of which support torrenting. ExpressVPN is located in the British Virgin Islands, but you don’t need to worry because it offers complete privacy thanks to its zero-logging guarantee.
ExpressVPN also offers unlimited data and bandwidth, allowing you to download at fast speeds. The VPN’s 256-bit AES encryption conceals your torrenting activity and reallocation. ExpressVPN finds the best server for your location through its Smart Location feature. Since it doesn’t store any identifying logs, no one will know your torrenting activity. Even your ISP won’t know what you are doing.
ExpressVPN’s advanced encryption system gives you a new encryption key every hour. This means that hackers or cyber criminals won’t be able to decode your data in your previous sessions. ExpressVPN’s Network Lock feature blocks downloads and prevents your IP address from leaking if something interrupts your VPN connections.
The VPN also allows you to choose from different protocols such as OpenVPN UDP/TCP. ExpressVPN offers live chat support, so you can always get help if you need it. They are available 24/7.
- Supports up to 5 devices at once
- Automatic kill switch
- 3,000+ servers support torrenting
- No-logging policy for improved privacy
- 256-bit encryption
- Perfect forward secrecy ensures anonymity
- Compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, Firefox, macOS, Linux and Chrome
- Works with Deluge, uTorrent, BitComet, Vuze, BitTorrent, WebTorrent, and qBittorrent
- The mobile app lacks some of the features of the VPN service.
ExpressVPN offers lightning-fast speeds and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with it, you can just ask for a refund.
CyberGhost is the best VPN for newbies. It has a user-friendly menu that allows users to access a dedicated P2P profile and choose from 80 P2P-enabled servers. You can also see which servers are close to you and how crowded they are.
CyberGhost allows you to get 7 connections at once. A money-back guarantee backs One-month plans for 14 days. Six-month plans, on the other hand, come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost’s AES 256-bit encryption protects your data and privacy. You can also choose from different protocols such as L2TP, OpenVPN, and IKEv2. CyberGhost also features a kill switch, which secures your P2P traffic. The app also features IPv6 and leak protection, so you can relax knowing that your DNS requests are concealed.
- 80 dedicated P2P servers
- Multiple security protocols
- AES 256-bit encryption
- IPv6 and DNS leak protection
- Malware and ad blocker
- 14-day money-back guarantee (1-month plan)
- Compatible with routers, Windows, iOS, Android, Firefox, Chrome, macOS and Linux
- Works with BitLord, Vuze, uTorrent, Deluge, qBittorrent, BitTorrent and Popcorn Time
- Limited operation in restrictive places
- Torrenting is only allowed on desktop
CyberGhost is blocked in some countries such as China. However, it’s a great option for users in areas where it’s not restricted. It is fast and reliable. You don’t need to worry about getting interrupted when you are downloading or sharing files. CyberGhost’s live chat support is always ready to assist you.
Surfshark is the best option for torrenting in restrictive areas. It has over 1,700+ servers that support P2P sharing, so you can enjoy fast speeds when torrenting. Surfshark’s privacy features and NoBorders feature conceal your activities in countries with heavy digital limitations like Vietnam, China, and Russia.
The VPN’s CleanWeb malware protection and adblocker block all ads and alerts you when you’re about to visit a suspicious website. Surfshark, however, cannot block malicious files and torrents. You need to install an antivirus to protect your device from such files. Surfshark offers SOCKS5 proxies and astringent security features, including a kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption and OpenVPN support.
The kill switch temporarily pauses downloads if your connection is interrupted. Surfshark’s MultiHop feature allows you to connect to several locations simultaneously. You can also use the whitelisted feature to increase your download speeds, while the MultiHop feature is still switched on.
It is located in the British Virgin Islands, so you won’t be discovered or identified when you’re using Surfshark. With the VPN’s zero-logs guarantee, you are assured that your privacy is protected while you are torrenting. Just remember that anything outside of the VPN connection uses your IP address and is unencrypted.
- Automatic kill switch
- 1,700+ servers support P2P sharing
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Fast, stable downloads
- Whitelister split tunneling offers flexible browsing
- NoBorders Mode can bypass censorship and geo-blocks
- MultiHop double encryption offers extra protection
- Compatible with routers, Windows, Chrome, Android, Linux, iOS, Firefox, and macOS
- Works with eMule, uTorrent, Vuze, BitTorrent, Deluge, qBittorrent and BitLord
- Cannot block malicious files and torrents
Surfshark offers unlimited connections, so it’s perfect for those who have a lot of devices. A 30-day money-back guarantee also backs it.
VyprVPN allows users to access geoblocks, so it’s a good option if your ISP or government blocks torrent sites. It’s a reliable private VPN that delivers fast speeds. VyprVPN has more than 700 self-owned servers that support torrenting. One of the best things about the VPN is that it’s intuitive and user-friendly. It comes with a kill switch and advanced encryption.
VyprVPN’s servers handle all DNS requests. It reduces the risk of attacks from hackers or other cybercriminals. The VPN doesn’t store personal data or P2P activity thanks to its no-logs policy. You can torrent even in restricted areas thanks to the VPN’s Chameleon protocol. VyprVPN jumbles your OpenVPN metadata, so you don’t need to worry about being discovered by relevant authorities.
VyprVPN’s parent company is located in the US, a country that is really strict when it comes to DMCA requests. If you illegally download copyrighted material, you will be blocked. Third parties will not be able to trace your activities thanks to VyprVPN’s advanced security features. Your identity will not be exposed.
- Chameleon security protocol allows for torrenting in restricted areas
- 700+ serves support P2P sharing
- No-logs policy and high-end encryption conceals your location and identity
- Five simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Compatible with routers, Windows, Firefox, Android, Chrome, iOS, Linux and macOS
- Works with Deluge, BitTorrent, Popcorn Time, uTorrent, Transmission, qBittorrent, and BitLord
- A relatively small network of servers
VyprVPN is equipped with powerful security features and doesn’t store logs. It also allows up to 5 simultaneous connections. If you need help, you can reach out to VyprVPN’s customer support through live chat. They are available 24/7.
PrivateVPN has 150+ servers that are optimized for P2P sharing. It is located in Sweden, a country with strong privacy laws. PrivateVPN maintains a strict zero-logs policy, so your torrenting activity won’t be exposed. The VPN uses port forwarding, which allows for more efficient torrenting and fast and steady download speeds. If you don’t know how to set up the port forwarding feature, you can get assistance through its live chat support.
PrivateVPN offers unlimited bandwidth. It is reliable and fast, so you won’t be interrupted even when you are downloading or sharing large files. The VPN’s IPv6 and DNS leak protection, advanced encryption, and connection kill switch secure your torrenting sessions. PrivateVPN also offers various security protocols, including OpenVPN, IPSec, L2TP, and IKEv2.
- Offers various security protocols
- Over 150 P2P servers
- IPv6 and DNS leak protection secures your privacy
- Port forwarding improves connection speeds
- Quick downloads, steady connections kill switch and high-end encryption
- Compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, macOS, routers and Chrome Firefox
- Works with WebTorrent, BitTorrent, BitLord, uTorrent, Transmission, BitComet and Deluge
- Inconsistent server speeds
PrivateVPN’s port forwarding, zero-logging policy, HTTP and SOCKS5 proxies and advanced encryption allow you to enjoy hassle-free torrenting.
Private Internet Access features WiFi protection, zero-log policy, and AES 256-bit encryption. It has more than 3303 servers in 48 countries that are optimized for P2P sharing. The VPN allows you to torrent on up to 10 devices at once. Private Internet Access is located in the US, but it doesn’t keep logs. Your P2P activity won’t be discovered.
The VPN also comes with malware and ad blocker, DNS leak protection, and kill switch. Private Internet Access offers different security protocols, including OpenVPN and SOCKS5proxy. These protocols can significantly boost speeds during peak periods. Private Internet Access offers unlimited data and bandwidth, so you won’t be interrupted when you are downloading or sharing files.
The VPN also offers port forwarding, which is particularly beneficial if the ISP blocks your torrent traffic. These features increase torrent speed. You can set it up from the app’s settings menu.
- Port forwarding offers faster torrenting speeds
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Offers anonymous payment options such as gift cards and Bitcoin
- 3,300+ servers support torrenting
- An auto kill switch prevents data leaks
- SOCKS5 proxy and DNS leak protection for privacy protection
- Zero-logging and advanced encryption protect your data
- Compatibility – routers, Chrome, Windows, Linux, Android, Firefox, iOS, and macOS
- Works with eMule, qBittorrent, Popcorn Time, BitTorrent, Vuze, BitLord and Deluge
- Lacks advanced options
- Obsolete UI and design
Private Internet Access is easy and quick to install. You can install the VPN in less than 10 minutes. If you are not satisfied with the service, you can just ask for a refund.
ZenMate has servers in 74 countries, and 59 of which are P2P-optimized. Some servers are slower during peak times, but the US, UK, and Canada servers are always reliable. ZenMate won’t expose your IP address and P2P history even if it’s based in Germany. Take note that torrenting is not allowed on ZenMate’s Australian servers.
ZenMate’s OpenVPN protocol and AES 256-bit encryption allow for safe and fast P2P sharing. The VPN’s DNS leak protection feature conceals your activity. ZenMate has a kill switch for Windows devices, so you need to be careful if you want to download files from an iOS device. The VPN doesn’t retain identifiable data thanks to its no-logs guarantee. ZenMate could uses some improvement in their customer support. The VPN’s ticket system, however, is reliable.
- Stable download and upload speeds
- P2P-optimized servers in 59 countries
- Unlocks YouTube and Netflix
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- OpenVPN protocol, zero-logging policy, automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection
- Compatibility – routers, Windows, Chrome, Android, Linux, iOS, Firefox, and macOS
- Works with Popcorn Time, BitTorrent, BitLord, uTorrent, Transmission, Vuze and Deluge
- No live chat support
ZenMate is a reliable VPN with watertight security features. It’s also easy to use, especially for those who are not tech-savvy or have not used VPNs before.
Windscribe P2P servers are 63 countries, but only 60 of these locations allow torrenting. India, Japan, and WINDFLIX servers can’t be used for P2P activity. Windscribe’s fast, steady speeds allow you to share and upload files easily and quickly.
The VPN provides a wide range of security features, including advanced encryption and various security protocols such as SOCKS5 and OpenVPN. Setting up security protocols involves manual configuration.
Windscribe is also equipped with a split tunneling feature that allows you to maximize speeds. You can choose which traffic goes through the local network and which one uses Windscribe. For instance, you can use it to access your local banking app while torrenting simultaneously. Even if you’re accessing your account from a foreign location, your bank won’t flag your account.
Windscribe also allows you to access port forwarding to boost your speed. The VPN offers comprehensive guides for everyone. These guides are particularly helpful for those who are new to torrenting. You can refer to these guides to learn how to set up Windscribe with Vuze and Deluge.
- Consistent torrenting speeds
- Zero-logs for improved privacy
- Port forwarding guarantees faster downloads
- 480+ servers in 60 countries
- SOCKS5 and OpenVPN configuration
- Offers online flexibility thanks to split tunneling
- Compatibility – Android, iOS, Windows, Chrome, Firefox, Linux, macOS, and routers
- Works with WebTorrent, uTorrent, qBittorrent, BitTorrent, Transmission, Vuze and Deluge
- Uses bots for support
Windscribe is located in Canada, a founding member of the Five Eyes Alliance. You don’t need to worry because Windscribe doesn’t keep logs since it features a money-back guarantee of 30 days. However, you need to use the VPN for longer than three days to get your refund.
IPVanish is the best VPN for multiple torrenters. It has over 1,300 servers that can be used for P2P sharing. You can get up to 10 simultaneous connections, allowing you to seed files at once. The VPN also features 256-bit AES encryption as well as SOCKS5 proxy and OpenVPN support, which can significantly increase your speeds.
IPVanish has powerful geo-unblocking capabilities and WiFi protection, allowing you to torrent even on local hotspots. It’s a great option for private torrenting. IPVanish is fast and doesn’t store logs, so you are assured that your data won’t be shared or sold to other third parties.
- 1,300+ servers support torrenting
- Comes with SOCKS5 proxy and256-bit AES encryption
- WiFi protection
- Offers up to 10 simultaneous connections
- Compatible with routers, iOS, Windows, macOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, and Linux
- Works with Popcorn Time, BitTorrent, Transmission, qBittorrent, Vuze, BitLord and Deluge
- No live chat option
IPVanish is based in the US, but it’s completely log-free thanks to its privacy standards. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can try the VPN first, and if you’re not happy with its performance, you can always ask for a refund.
VPNs that Should be Avoided for Torrenting
Some VPNs block torrenting activity. Here are the VPNs that you should avoid when you are torrenting.
Turbo VPN – Turbo VPN doesn’t work with BitTorrent and other torrenting clients. If you use it with BitTorrent, you will be blocked. You can only torrent on your mobile device. Turbo VPN, however, securely hides your IP address and traffic because of its strong encryption.
Hola VPN – Hola VPN blocks BitTorrent traffic and doesn’t permit torrenting at all. It’s not ideal for P2P sharing because it doesn’t provide encryption, so your online activity will still be visible. Hola VPN does have a speedy proxy.
BroVPN – BroVPN monitors the websites you access. If you accidentally downloaded copyrighted material, you will face legal repercussions.
How to Find the Best VPN for Torrenting
The best VPN for torrenting should have the following characteristics:
- Fast speeds for seeding files easily and quickly
- Allows for P2P sharing so that you can download and share files
- Offers unlimited data for unlimited downloads
- Extra torrenting features and P2P-optimized servers so that you can access your torrenting client through your VPN
- Strict no-logs policy to guarantee absolute anonymity. The VPN shouldn’t retain data about your device, connection, or history.
- DNS leak protection, advanced encryption, automatic kill switch, and other extra security features to protect you from malicious attacks
- SOCKS5 and OpenVPN proxies to guarantee high-speed and safe P2P sharing and downloading
manual tools to customize the VPN for your needs
Is Torrenting Safe with a VPN?
Torrenting with a VPN is safe as long as you pick a reputable VPN provider. A VPN conceals your torrenting traffic and your IP address so that no one will know your address or online activities. It also protects you from various attacks, such as doxing. VPNs don’t offer protection against malware. You need to look for an anti-malware program to protect you from malicious files or programs.
Never use a VPN server that is located in countries that block torrenting sites such as Italy, the US, and China. Choose a VPN server in P2P-friendly countries such as Poland, Canada, and the Netherlands. As long as you pick a VPN provider that has various P2P servers and doesn’t have a strict no-logs policy, you can enjoy torrenting as much as you want. Find servers near your location to get the best possible speeds.
Which is the Best VPN for Torrenting?
With a VPN, you can hide your ISP and IP address from prying eyes. Your traffic is also encrypted, so you can relax knowing that you’re safe while you are torrenting files. The best VPN for torrenting is NordVPN because of its unbeatable speeds, strict security measures, and P2P-optimized servers.
Which Free VPN is Best for Torrenting?
It’s best that you avoid free VPNs because even if they don’t cost anything, you are still going to spend money. Free VPNs have restrictions and severe security risks, so you need to spend money to improve your bandwidth or speed or protect your privacy. A lot of free VPN services also collect and sell your data to third parties.
You can still use a free VPN for torrenting, especially if you’re on a tight budget. If you really want to use a free VPN, you can use NordVPN. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Use this opportunity to test NordVPN before you commit. You can cancel your subscription and ask for a refund if you’re not satisfied with it.
NordVPN has over 5,390 P2P-friendly servers, many of which are used for torrenting. It also features DNS leak protection, 256-bit AES encryption, Onion over VPN, double VPN, and automatic kill switch, so you’re assured that your torrenting activity and IP address are not exposed.
Can You Go to Jail for Torrenting?
You won’t go to jail for torrenting, but you could get sued if you torrent copyrighted content without a VPN. When you have a VPN, your activity won’t be traced back to you.
Using a VPN is the best way to stay safe and protect your data while torrenting. It encrypts your traffic and conceals your IP address from your ISP and other prying eyes. Most VPNs, however, don’t allowP2P share and don’t have the security features that will maintain your anonymity. The best VPN is NordVPN because of its strict security measures, reliable speeds, and P2P-optimized servers that ensure stable download speeds while keeping you anonymous throughout your torrenting activity.
To sum it up, these are the best VPNs for torrenting.
NordVPN – NordVPN offers the fastest speeds and best torrenting reliability thanks to its high-end encryption, unlimited data and bandwidth, dedicated P2P infrastructure, and advanced security features.
ExpressVPN – ExpressVPN offers excellent P2P support and an advanced encryption system that provides a new encryption key every hour to keep you safe throughout your torrenting activity. It’s perfect for heavy torrenters as it allows up to 5 connections simultaneously.
CyberGhost – CyberGhost is perfect for newbies because of its user-friendly menu and built-in torrenting profile that allows you to see which servers are in close proximity.