Hey, Our topic for today is Biometric Authentication, Let’s jump for it.
You might be thinking why cyber security is so important in context of biometric authentication right ? Because on internet nobody knows whether you an animal, a terrorist or a spy, a student
You will get all the answers here
Well, Biometrics is something that is related to human characteristics. The authentication is used as a form of identification and can also be used to access their control. One can also identify individuals in groups, basically an individual who is under surveillance.
The main objective of the authentication is that all are unique and a person can be identified only through Behavioral and Physical Traits. To improve biometric authentication, many new areas are explored such as electronic tattoos, brainwave signals, password pill and many more areas. The password pill swallowed would create unique identification radio signals that can easily be noticed outside the skin.
Traditional systems were token based and knowledge based identification systems like passport or driver’s license, personal identification number, etc. But those systems were not reliable.
Biometric identifiers are categorized into two forms:
- Behavioral characteristics
Both are very different and are used to identify and describe individuals. The former characteristics describes the shape of the body like face recognition, palm print, iris recognition, finger print, DNA, palm veins, etc.
The behavioral characteristics are very much related to the pattern of behavior of an individual for example person’s typing rhythm, voice, gait, etc. Some identifiers such as gait or monitoring keystrokes provides continuous authentication instead of single check. The verification is becoming very common in corporate security systems, point of sale applications etc. The best thing about this authentication is that it has removed traditional identification system of passwords, security tokens, etc. Now you don’t even require contacts of individuals. The devices such as fingerprint readers has a reading device, then a software that would convert the information to digital form and then compare match points. There will a database that will store all the data for comparison. The only limiting factor in adoption of this authentication is the accuracy, but still the high quality fingerprint reader’s, microphones and cameras in many of the devices has helped a lot in authenticating users.
Biometrics is very cost effective. The quality of biometric authentication is improving, but there are times when they produce false results. The problem with fingerprints is that people leave their prints on surfaces they touch, so it is very easy to imitate it and make a replica in silicone. Now voice can also be easily captured. Dynamic biometrics like facial expressions and gestures can be changed but they can also be captured through HD cameras. If the data is exposed then it can easily be intercepted. The big problem with biometric authentication is that one can easily change their passwords but not their physical attributes.
People think money is valuable, but identity is more valuable than money. Every single piece of information is very critical. Wherever you go, whether seeking employment or applying for any public benefits, or you want to open a bank account identity verification is very important.
Cyber security is all about trust in accessing your computer systems and ensuring that your network is free from security vulnerabilities, so that it performs efficiently. The fundamental thing that is necessary for cyber security is Identity management. Therefore biometric authentication is a key element in the fight against cyber-crime. Biometrics knows how to counteract cyber security threats, but the biometric systems can be a source of weakness as well. Sometimes unattended acquisition can create risk and with growing database, it is very difficult to achieve universality. With more devices, frequency of attacks will also increase.
“Innovation – There is precious little ‘new stuff’ appearing at trade exhibitions, and some of the sexy old stuff (like iris on the move) has fallen by the wayside or not made any major accuracy improvements in the last five years.”
Terry Hartmann, Unisys.
Advantages of biometric authentication:
- Accurate identification: With new technology, the systems offer high level identification management.
- Accountability: Now an individual can be directly connected to actions or an event through biometric log-ins. One will get the proper trail of activities. This is helpful in case of security breaches, this cannot be duplicated.
- Easy and Safe for Use: The best thing about the biometric authentication is that it is very easy and safe to use. This technology will give accurate results with minimum invasiveness. This can be easily installed in your devices and it doesn’t require excessive training
- Time saving: Well people are impatient; no need to worry, biometric identification is very quick. This is another great advantage over traditional methods. In a matter of seconds a person’s identity can be approved or rejected. This is really helpful for the people who value time management. This is very beneficial in reducing frauds and increasing productivity.
- User Friendly Systems: people look for user friendly system, so here it is, biometric systems which can really do the work quickly and uniformly. People won’t need expensive password administrators. If one uses high quality biometric systems would reduce maintenance costs
- Security: well company would also get a long term security solution. The drawback of password system is that there is a sequence of letters, symbols and numbers, which makes the passwords very difficult to remember, tokens can also easily be lost. You will never be able to make out who the real user was. This is not the case with biometric.
So, This is all about Biometric Authentication! Have some Innovative Ideas in your mind ? Would you like to discuss something more ? Do comment, Let’s Discuss.